Kinco’s work continues at Historic Cane Hill, as the restoration of the exterior of the Methodist manse (minister’s residence) got underway this week.
From the Historic Cane Hill website: Based on local history and the Manse’s 1980’s uncited National Register nomination form, the Methodist congregation constructed the Manse in 1834. At some time before the Civil War, they constructed a second church and converted this structure to a minister’s residence. During the Civil War, the Manse reportedly served as the headquarters for Union General James Blount during the nearby battles of Cane Hill and Prairie Grove, and as a hospital. After the war, the Manse again served as a residence for the Methodist minister. In 1904 the Methodist Church in Cane Hill disbanded. The building continued to be used as a private, non-church related residence through the 1990’s, with a number of alternations made to the building, including a rear addition, a second story, doorways along the rear wall, and an additional window added on its south and west walls